Sunday, November 1, 2009

"i can't be pretty anymore"

A friend from work told me this shortly after she cut off about 12 inches of her hair to donate to locks of love, and she was a little bit distressed about having short hair now. I thought it was funny at the time, until I decided to dye my hair teal. Yes teal. Let's think about that for a second, and now that if I had truly thought about it, I would not have tried it. Yet I did. So to the salon I go, thinking, they are professionals, this should be no problem for them. So we bleach oh about 4 chunks of my hair blonde, and then proceed to put the teal on top of that so it would stay. The ugliest color I have ever seen. Sea foam, mermaid-esque disgusting color. So I tell her just to make the pieces blonde again, thnking that will be fine. And it would have been, had she toned them or made them the same color, or even took the time to make sure they were evenly bleached. She didn't. At first I couldn't really tell how bad it was, but after many days trying to style and wash my hair, there were lots of pieces that were that dirty color blonde..really quite hideous. So new plan, my roomate who wanted to go to hairschool, help me dye the blonde pieces red. So we sectioned them off with foil, and proceeded to dye them, well a bright pinkish orange would be the best way to describe it. So back to the salon I go (of note, a different salon) where I now realize that in fact, I can be pretty again. With blonde and red highlights, I feel so much better about my hair and have possibly learned my lesson. Possibly.

4 comments:

Jennie said...

oh dear, kara my love.....can we talk about the teal idea? and where that started? 'cause you're so pretty, but I can't understand the teal???

Kara said...

i wanted purple..just for something different..but my roomates hair was purple..and i didn't want to be the same. so there it is. sometimes i think i am a rebel.

jrwillden said...

teal? oh my goodness, what an experiment! your brother didn't believe me that you did it and wanted to see a picture. we were both disappointed that you didn't share this with the world... i hope all is well. evann LOVES her boots by the way and asked if we could call auntie kara to thank her and i said sure--right after i clean up this mess...apparently i am still cleaning it as it has been a 4 days since they arrived and we haven't called auntie yet. we WILL though. just know she had the thought and i screwed it up. love you lots.

auntie said...

I feel cheated that I didn't get a picture of the little mermaid.