Thursday, November 5, 2009

oh near...

I ventured to the dentist today. WHY? you ask (and I know you were asking, becuase who willfully goes to the dentist?)..well for a couple of reasons actually, I recently paid attention to the fact that I am paying bi-monthly for dental insurance and not using it, and because my teeth could use a good cleaning. So to the phone book I go to find a dentist near my house. Away I go. I am pretty positive I don't have cavities even before I go, thankfully I have really healthy teeth. My only other concern is the whole whitening process. I have been told by a few other professionals that my teeth shouldn't be whitened because of the stain/trauma/scar thing that is on my left front tooth (insert reason for such a thing: flippy thing gone wrong with kate at age 7). So after xrays and a thorough (and quite painful) cleaning, a very kind and cheerful (maybe TOO cheerful...) dentist informs me that the root on said tooth is calcified, and the way to fix it is a root canal and then a crown. I wanted to cry. Still do actually. I don't want to do it. I know I need to because my tooth is going to get more discolored and eventually hurt me in someway (think abscess here) and then the process will be worse. But really, I just like my teeth and don't want to have a root canal. So in the end all I can really say is... oh near.

2 comments:

auntie said...

I say cowboy up a little and get that tooth taken care of. Be glad that you have that healthcare...and here I have deleted further sarcastic and inappropriate commentary regarding the state of the union...
Now you can walk around knowing that you are wearing a crown and it will give you a queenly and regal quality that you didn't have heretofore.

Josh and Hil said...

Kara... root canals DO NOT hurt. they are probably the least painful thing at the dentist office. Trust me I work at one remember :) Just do it and get it over with girl! I hope your insurance covers most of it, if not that sucks!