Saturday, August 23, 2008

...it's just like riding a bicycle

..while that may be true, what happens when you seem to have forgotten how to ride a bicycle?? Now I don't mean to say that I have lost the ability to pedal the bike into motion, I simply mean that I have forgotten how to make it not seem like torture. I rode my bike to work last night. Wow. Really not so fun. It was hot outside, and I am terribly out of shape, and I am not sure that my tires were aired up to proper functioning capacity, but still. It was just about the most miserable exercising experience I have had in a while. That was until I got back on my bike this morning after a very long 12 hour shift, and proceeded to attempt to pedal my way the mile and a half or so home. What setting is better? A higher gear that is harder to pedal, or a lower one where you have to pedal many more times a minute? These are the questions that plague me even still. I have to be honest that this morning I gave up slightly..and walked my bike the last bit. I shan't give up completely, I am just not sure that going to and from work is the proper avenue for my tour de france training. For now, I have to say that at one point I wanted to abandon the bike along the river trail I was riding, but did not. I have slightly more perserverance than that. Slightly more. We shall see. On another note, I am getting very excited for next weekend. Very excited.

2 comments:

Annie and Dan said...

Kara, you are so funny! I love how you describe things, I really feel as though I am there with you! Lately I have been going to a spin class with a work friend, and after the first day I really had NO desire to go back, but I have to say it has gotten easier.

I am proud of you riding your bike to work and stick with it! If I had a bike I would say we should go on rides before it gets cold, but I don't so I will think of you while I am in my spin class :)

katie said...

Stick with the bike. It will get easier and you will become more physically able and Reno said I was the biggest mama in the whole world today--so try not to have your children someday replicate that sentiment:).