Tuesday, September 9, 2008

..we are family..

Labor day weekend brought about the 3rd annual Willden family reunion (2nd for me, but that is not the point). We congregated at the Flaming Gorge KOA campsite in Manila, UT. I was very excited to be there, and was even more excited that it only took me 3 1/2 hours to get there..and would have possibly taken less time if I had not had to make 2 unexpected stops at the wal-mart for shoes of all things. I was able to see my parents, brother/sister-in law, sister/brother-in-law, and their beautiful children, grandparents, and various aunts, uncles, and cousins. It was so good to see everyone, it revived my spirits a great deal. Most of it was just hanging out by the campfire, eating, and just talking about things, but that was almost my favorite part. Just to reconnect with family members who I haven't seen in anywhere from 2-8 years was fantastic. My real favorites though were the family kickball game, where I was on the winning team and did in fact contribute to the win by catching a ball my brother kicked (it is quite an accomplishment, as I don't think I have ever bested him in anything). Then the campsite was having karaoke, which you are all aware that I already love..and I convinced my sister and cousin to sing with me, we did a spectacular rendition of Carly Simon's 'You're so vain.' It was pretty awesome! The women in the family then sang 'love shack' during which my mother did some wonderful dance moves and goosed everyone one of us!! It was so much fun, just to be able to make a fool of ourselves and not be ashamed about it. It rained that night, which caused problems for those sleeping in tents (not me) but we made it through. Saying goodbye was not the easiest thing ever, but with promises from everyone to stay in touch and see one another the next year made it slightly easier. People and circumstances of our lives change, but it doesn't change the fact that we are family and are bonded by love.

1 comment:

auntie said...

I thank you for the pictures, some of which I didn't realize were there because I didn't know I had to scroll down to get to them. When I inquired of your sister if going to the reunion was "worth it" despite the monetary factor, the distance, and the rain, she replied with a very heartfelt yes. Strange to think my children have so many cousins, aunts, and uncles, when I myself have been so isolated from relatives from an early age. There were a few cousins, but none my age. I have always been grateful that my sister had children early and had so many for I was blessed too. And continue to be. The girls had a great time and sing the songs from whatshername that will probably always remind them of this special time. Something about "that stupid old pick-up truck you never let me drive..." And then there's Lane...