Tuesday, July 22, 2008

success??

So I had a very intense day today, and am thinking it was successful. I invited some friends who are going to be leaving for new adventures soon over for dinner, and maybe bit off more than I could chew on this one. I at first thought of making just some really good grilled chicken and then Melissa's vegetables, as we like to call them. Then after looking at some marinating recipes online and with the thoughtful input from dear Ry, I decided to instead make chicken/pineapple kabobs (which would be good without the pineapple, for those who are disgusted by the thought of them, as the recipe originally calls for red bell peppers instead). This is where the trouble started. Not to mention that my apartment was not really fit for people to see, which is my fault entirely, but still. So by the time I got back from the store (by the way I didn't get up at a reasonable hour, also my own fault) it was 3:30 and dinner was scheduled for 7:45. I TRIED to be organized and use this 15 min thing someone was telling me about, but I really was way too scatterbrained, and thought I had everything under control. By 5:30 my apartment was clean, minus the horrendous mess I was creating in the kitchen, and the chicken kabobs (not on the skewer) were marinating in the fridge. I thought I was on top of things. So I begin peeling and cutting vegetables, then I look up and it is 6:45 and the vegetables are not ready to go in the oven, and I haven't put the kabobs on the skewer, am not dressed, have not unloaded the dishwasher, the last batch of cookies is not out of the oven...PANIC. I call Ry to see if I can get it all done (and what would she have done if I couldn't..whatever..sometimes you need a voice of reason). She gives me a detailed list of instructions to carry out, and I start to do so. Put vegetables in the oven, but kabobs on skewers, clean out dishwasher, oh but don't forget to check on the veggies periodically and put the squash in close to the end to prevent a mushy mess. It is now 7:30..15 min to go..vegetables have been in for close to 40 min..and guess what..yeah that's right..potatoes and carrots are not even CLOSE to being cooked. You thought I panicked before..this is nothing..I am still not dressed..and the kabobs..while assembled are not going to get cooked..because the vegetables are still in the oven. I quickly load the dishwasher and clean off the counter, get dressed and check on the vegetables again (yeah they magically cooked in the last 10 min..NOT). So I call Ry in a near frenzy (thanks for the help and sanity by the way) and she tells me I will have to put them in the skillet I convieniently purchased today. I do so. I also put a pan of skewers in to broil, and begin grilling the rest as they won't all fit on my rather small cookie sheet. The time has come..it is 7:45..but not to fear..everyone was late. And by everyone I mean the 4 guys that showed up to eat this rather delicious meal I prepared. The first two showed up just as the first two kabobs were finished on the grill. They also got to sample cookies while we waited..and waited..the other two showed up..still waiting..and waiting..finally after depression and the resolve to never again cook potatoes set in..I pulled the vegetables out of the skillet and served them. Everything tasted really good, the guys said it was great...and a fun time was had by all. However..after the marathon cooking..it was like a sauna in my apartment..and kind of uncomfortable to be in. Oh well. Also..another girl did eventually show up..but not till after we ate..and me and 4 guys..not akward at all..thank goodness I can handle that kind of pressure.

4 comments:

auntie said...

I'm exhausted just reading about your effort. You poor girl. Sorry to say that Seth agrees with me about the pineapple and chicken together, but I'm sure if we were hungry and you prepared it, we would eat it if the opportunity arose. I'm sure you are a very gracious host and the laughter would make up for any waiting that had to be done. I can't wait for your next installment. Get me that truffle recipe!

auntie said...

this is Seth..
I know 3 shots is a tad pathetic, but I was discouraged. He shot so much better than I did. I am thinking of a school in Austin, but it is such a long way away. Even from y'alls Seymour. But that's not for a while yet.

jrwillden said...

Rock on little Sister. I'm glad it was a success. Practice makes perfect though so I'm sure you will need to do it more often. Perhaps you should start a monthly dinner party where you try new things. Good for you, good for the guests and good for me. I can live vicariously through you.

katie said...

I am with Ryann and encourage you inviting scores of men to your apartment to try out recipes on. If only I had an audience such as that. Only then I would be you and I really couldn't stand for you to be me, so I will live vicariously too.