Thursday, June 19, 2008

survived

I managed to survive my first rotation in my RN residency program. It started out pretty rough, as previously mentioned, but turned out to be not that bad. Once I got the hang of the computer system for charting and giving meds, it all boiled down to basic nursing, which by the way, I do know how to do. So all in all, I had a pretty good two weeks, and met some cool people and got some really good experience to prepare me for the challenges that lay ahead: the ICU and the ER. There are days when all I want is to work in the ER and other days when the thought of it scares me to death. I think this is part of the reason I want it, to overcome that fear and apprehension and to be able to say "i CAN do that." Friends and people I know are passing their state boards right and left, and it is starting to add to the already enormous amount of pressure I have riding on me. I HAVE to pass that test. Obviously, I need to stop blogging and study more, to ensure that I have done everything in my power, but it still kinda wigs me out sometimes. I mean, what would I do if I failed? I can't even begin to think about it. On a side note, I was alone again for lunch, my lunch buddy was off today, and so..I saw a spot at a table where there was just one guy sitting, and asked if I could join him, and turns out it was his first day in the hospital as an intern in one of the departments, and just moved here (by the way..lives in my apartment complex) and didn't know anyone, and didn't know where to put his tray. I was glad that I could help someone from having to sit alone and feel dumb like I did on my first day!

2 comments:

katie said...

You are a good samaritan. Keep it up.

jrwillden said...

i can't think of anything clever to type today but i wanted to tell you that your story made me smile. i am glad you were there to help him feel more comfortable...well, that is assuming you did make him feel more comfortable...miss you.